Do you ever have hours or days... I'll even go as far as WEEKS when you feel like your home is out of whack? I know a lot of it has to do with me and how I handle things, but every time one of the kids changes routines or phases, it gets all of us off.
Well the last couple of weeks were ROUGH. My toddlers turned into teenagers overnight, Briggs and Maddie were teething and I was a little sleep-deprived, low on exercise endorphins(because I was slacking!) and maybe too impatient. Love and Logic solutions failed. Timeout failed. Rewards failed. All forms of punishment failed. And honestly, I felt like as a mom I had failed.
But in the midst of my frustration, mainly frustration with myself for lack of patience and wisdom to deal with things, I felt impressed that it was ok to feel impatient sometimes. I don't have to beat myself up about, as long as I'm trying to do better. The most important thing for me to remember was to BE KIND. No matter what.
So I tried it, thinking it was a little silly. In just one day, our entire home turned around! And I've been watching the kids do things for each and for me without being asked. All I did was stay positive with the things I said and did, and they rose to meet those expectations.
I made a warm fuzzy jar and taught FHE about service. The kids get to put a cottonball in if they do service. And wow, they are amazing little girls. I'm one lucky mom to have been sent such sweet spirits.
This morning I was in the living room folding laundry and watched Maddie walk into the kitchen and start opening drawers, obviously looking for something. I wasn't watching her very closely and before I knew it she was back in the living room with a dish towel in her hand. She crouched down in front of Briggs with the dish towel and gently wiped away the drool that was running down his chin and onto his chest as a result of teething. Then she went and put the towel away. Never said a word or expected anything in return. I was glad I had my phone close by so I could take a quick picture of it.

No comments:
Post a Comment