We have a fun little Christmas countdown and when we moved it to the "9" this morning, crazy!
This past week was a busy one. It seems like we tried to cram a whole month's of events into just the first two weeks. We've had our ward party, relief society activity, Jared's work party, shopping, book club, tithing settlements, music practice, pack meeting, visiting teaching, home teaching, ward temple night, Christmas devotionals, primary presidency meeting, etc. I don't have anything going on this week or next, except things of my own choosing, like working on a sewing project, making treats to take to neighbors, and sending out Christmas cards. With the exception of the sewing project, the rest of Christmas is ready! I'm excited to see their faces. I'm excited to act out the Nativity the night before with them. I'm excited to just let them feel the Spirit that comes with the days surrounding Christmas. The JOY you find all over this time of year, I love it.
Maddie earned a nickel this week for "baby-sitting" for me. I am lame and almost never give them money for anything. I don't feel like they get it and what it is, so they lose it and I don't want to give it to them. I did give it to her anyway, and this time I finally felt like she understood that money was not a toy, she was pretty careful with it. She kept carrying it around, setting it down, almost losing it, etc., so I asked her to go put it in her bank so it wouldn't get lost. She said, "Ok, Mom!", and left to go take care of it.
A couple of minutes later she came back with a very serious look on her face. She said, "Mom, remember the other day when it was really cold and we went to the store? And there was a guy outside with a bell helping get money for people who don't have a house or food or clothes? Can I take my money to him?" Umm, yes, Maddie. I was a little overwhelmed by her goodness in that moment. It was very much like the widow's mite. This was all the money she had, she had "worked" for it, and she chose to give it all. Such a sweetheart. The kids are always teaching me things.
Maddie and Briggs ran into each other a week or so again. Maddie came away with that nasty black eye, Briggs didn't even cry or act like he was hurt. Poor girl!
This month Primary has been chaotic, to say the least. It's like the kids are sugared up every Sunday? We don't know, but it is CRAZY. Luckily, I am not over sharing time, or teaching, for that matter. After the 2nd counselor finished sharing time, she said to me, "Wow, that was crazy. Did they even know I was talking up there?!" Last night as Emma was going to bed, I asked her what she learned today at church. She proceeded to tell me nearly every detail of the ten virgins that was taught in sharing time. I don't know why we tend to equate quietness with reverence, but it is not necessarily the same. A family friend needed a blessing for her little girl(a couple months older than Anderson) last night, and all the kids were wiggly, Anderson was talking, the little girl couldn't sit still, etc. It was then I remembered that often when kids are feeling the Spirit, they tend to get wiggly.
Last night Emma also taught us that the Bishop can't teach every class in the church, he would get too tired! Luckily, there are lots of amazing teachers who help the Bishop. I'm especially grateful for Emma's teacher, who manages to wrangle those Sunbeams and teach them so well in the process. Maddie and Briggs have great teachers in their nurseries, too.
Emma was telling Anderson a very entertaining story, apparently.
Emma was telling Anderson a very entertaining story, apparently.
Yesterday morning, Brendan was ordained a Deacon. All of us crammed into the Bishop's office, and I was worried that my kids might be silly. I hadn't prepped them as to what was going to happen, Briggs was exhausted=grumpy, Maddie was exhausted=silly. As they circled around Brendan and placed their hands on his head, Briggs(who was sitting on my lap), needed no prompting. He dropped his head, folded his arms and was still. I have noticed him watching the Sacrament table, and the way the boys in our ward behave very closely as they pass the Sacrament, and as he sees Jared give blessings, Derek baptize Paige, etc. He seems to have an understanding of it's sacredness that is beyond what we have taught him. It is amazing.
And his personality is always entertaining. He came out of his room from a nap dressed like this and doing a little jig the other day. Cracked me up!
And his personality is always entertaining. He came out of his room from a nap dressed like this and doing a little jig the other day. Cracked me up!
Anderson has 2 teeth now. He is eating some foods, and loves applesauce, although you wouldn't be able to tell by the silly faces he makes as he eats. He is still pretty much sleeping through the night, and I am very grateful to him for that. He is just so good natured and calm, he really brings such peace and joy to our home. At different times, we all need to fill our cups with that, and I've noticed when one of the kids (or I!) are having a rough day, we gravitate toward him. He is always more than happy to fulfill that need in us. Those dimples get me every time!!



No comments:
Post a Comment