Monday, December 29, 2014

Tender Mercies

I know my Heavenly Father loves me.  I have always known that.  I know a great deal about what He is like because of my own father's love, care and concern for me.  I've always been grateful for that.  I know He loves me because He created this world, this life, this family for me.  But I REALLY know He loves me as I see Him in the details of my life.  I have spent my whole life seeing things like a rainbow and thinking, "He knows me!  He knew I needed that today!" 

An anonymous sister from my ward shared an experience at a relief society activity last year.  She said that a lady in the ward stopped by with a plate of cookies and said, "I don't know why, but I'm supposed to bring these to you today."  This sister was almost offended, wondering why she thought she needed them.  She just KNEW the sister was confused and didn't know her well enough to know that she was just fine.  Then she realized that this was Heavenly Father's way of saying, "Hey, I was just thinking about you today and wanted you to know that."

I have come to understand and call those moments "tender mercies."

Elder Bednar says "tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurance, guidance, loving-kindness, consolation, support and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."

Wow.  So pretty much EVERYTHING.  I have made pages of tender mercies journals before.  There are truly too many to list.  

I wanted to share one.  As we entered the Christmas season, I was feeling pretty calm.  I had done most of my shopping weeks(even months) before and had very little to worry about.  But the one thing I felt I had not done as well as I wanted to was prepare some special ways for my family to really focus on Christ this year.  The day that realization hit me that I had probably already dropped the ball because there were only 12 days left until Christmas, I was feeling so disappointed.  As we got home from Grandma's one night, I noticed something on our doorstep.  We got the kids inside through the garage and I went to check the front doorstep, anticipating a treat from a neighbor.  Instead, I was greeted by a small wrapped package and a note.  It informed us that we would be receiving the 12 days of Christmas!  And what were the gifts?  Pieces of a nativity set, accompanied by a scripture and/or quote about that piece.  In that moment I KNEW that was a tender mercy, extended from heaven through a friend who was listening and willing to serve us.  It made this Christmas more special, and it really helped keep us thinking of Him.

No comments: