I know that it is January, and that it is "normal" to have cabin fever or find ourselves in a funk. But I don't like it. It feels like depression. For me, I think it is aggravated by birth control issues, potty training, and cold weather. After feeling sorry for myself for several days, I decided I needed to de-funk my life.
So I started thinking of things I could do. I thought I would share what has helped the most in case any of you find yourselves in a similar situation...
#1: Sunshine/Exercise! I know that it was cold on Friday. It never got over 34 degrees. But that isn't really that cold, we bundled up lots and went for a 3 mile walk/jog. AMAZING what that did for all of us, espcially me.
#2: Organization. It might seem like it would stress you out more, but having a plan and following it, feeling like my house/family is in order, makes me happy. I found a website, Household Management 101, that gave me a lot of great ideas. My favorite were the cleaning schedules. Just doing a couple of things everyday is much less overwhelming than looking at your house as a whole. And it is fun to try to get all my chores for the day done before lunchtime so I can enjoy playing with my kids the rest of the day and not feel guilty. I also love the household notebook idea. Brilliant! You all probably know this stuff but it was all new to me!
#3: Serve. I know we've all heard this many times, but when I start thinking about others more than myself, I feel better. It doesn't even have to be a big thing. On one of my hardest days I got a phone call from someone who just needed to talk, who needed me to say a few things that I didn't know I was going to say. And I got off the phone thinking of this person, feeling so much better, and grateful that they were willing to call me and give me the opportunity to serve.
2 comments:
great thoughts. it amazes me as well when i need to "de-funk" how much some exercise, sunshine and cleaning make me feel so much better and ready to tackly my kiddos! we finally have some sunshine and we can't get enough of it. throw the shutters open, open the window for a bit and enjoy!!!!
Our RS is having an activity tomorrow night- a counselor is speaking about beating the winter blues. It starts at 7 and they have babysitting provided in the nursery. If you'd like to go with me let me know!
Post a Comment