Monday, October 8, 2012

What do you do?

One of the things that I have learned about General Conference (really any talk, actually) is that we don't all get the exact same message from the exact same words as our friends, spouse or family. But I LOVE it when others share what they got out of it, because it helps me see things differently, often adding insight to what I was already thinking on.
 
So one of the things I learned from Conference was that we all need to be more Christlike, to serve more, be more.
 
 


I heard about a talk that was given recently where the man speaking said that when most people around the world are asked what they do, they respond with things like volunteer, read, coach, serve, travel, bird watch etc.  Only in America do most respond with what it is that they do for MONEY. 

Somedays I think I don't do very much service, I definitely don't travel, I don't bird watch, I don't volunteer at homeless shelters, I do read when I can, and I haven't been able to coach any teams, not even my own children's yet. 

But as I was thinking of some of the women around me- my friends, family and ward members, I am humbled by the things you "do for the world." 

-You faithfully visit 4 women every month, encouraging and uplifting them.
-You teach your children pre-school.
-You deliver dinner to women in the ward when they have a baby, are sick, or moving.
-You help your neighbor pull their weeds.
-You teach your children to pray.
-You deliver homeade bread to your elderly neighbor.
-You volunteer in your child's classroom.
-You give up sleep to help your child work on a school project.
-You read to your children.
-You cook healthy dinners for your family.
-You pack a bag, dress your children into dresses or suit, make their hair look nice, and wrangle them for 3 hours of church.
-You teach a rowdy class of primary children each week, not sure if they are even listening.
-You make time for your aging mother- helping in her yard, listening when she needs to talk, driving her places and making her feel loved.
-You accept callings or assignments at church that stretch you so far you're not sure if you can do it.
-You support your husband in his callings, his job, his hobbies.
-You teach your children to work.

I hope that the next time someone asks you, "What do you do?" you can think of a couple of things.  Because I know you are serving and doing so much good in the world.  You don't HAVE to do any of those things, those are choices you are making, and you are making a difference.

I want to be "doing" those kinds of things for others- thank you all for being such a great example to me of Christlike service.

No comments: