Monday, August 16, 2010

Confessions of a Mother

As a mother, I really don't know what I'm doing 99% of the time. I honestly just make it up. Poor Emma has been the guinea pig for so much. Most recently, our potty training attempts. I love to read parenting books, and I have read about so many potty training techniques that I like. Any of them are excellent options, but what actually happens in the heat of the moment ends up being jumbled and probably pretty confusing for the poor girl.

Today I turned away for a minute and looked back to see the telling look on Emma's face as a little trickle ran down her leg. I let out a good natured "Ah!" hoping to startle her and stop the stream until I could get to her. She looked at the puddle spreading across the floor, then looked up at me, eyes wide and repeated, "Ah!"

So now I wonder if she thinks that is the proper response to pee. Hope not!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Melody, if you want to know the truth we are all making it up as we go, just ask Wyatt the poor kid has never figured me our and I haven't figured him out. Good luck with the potty training, it is a hard job and takes a lot of time and energy.
Also, I think you are an amazing mom.

Julie said...

Hah - we call Taylor our guinea pig too, poor guy! Parenting books are helpful, but I think every Mom needs time and work to learn what works for them - and every kid is different too.
I am impressed with the young potty-training. I hate it and put it off as long as I can. My kids have all been well over 3 before they are trained.
Anyway, we went to Portland last week and drove past Twin Falls. I though of you and was trying to guess where your house was! It looks like a nice place to live.

Connie said...

That is adorable!! Ah! Made me laugh. You guys are doing such a great job!