Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 8- Children

I am so grateful for my children, and how much they teach me about life.  I'm also blessed to spend time with Emma and Maddie's little friends, nieces and nephews and primary children.  I can't even begin to tell you how many times they have said something that has touched me or taught me.

They teach me a lot about being grateful for the little things.  They tend to notice the most interesting rocks, cool gopher holes, unique leaves or textures.  Today I taught pre-school, and feathers, flour and fans(homemade paper ones) were such big hits.  They wanted to explore every aspect, and noticed things about each of them that I have missed seeing hundreds of times.


They teach me to see the good in others.  Always.  Last night we read an article from the Friend about a girl whose friends were watching bad movies, saying bad words, and playing bad games.  We posed the question to Emma and Maddie, "What do you do if your friend is watching a bad movie?"  Her response, "I just ask them to watch a nice one."  I know her answer is logical, but when I have seen someone making a choice I don't agree with, I usually don't say anything or try to help like I should, I probably assume the worst.  Emma's answers were all along the lines of thinking that her friends don't want to watch those things, either.  She just assumes the good in them, in all people.


They teach me to see the beauty in everything.  I have kept old popsicle sticks and the girls use them in the bath tub because, when wet, they stick to the side of the tub.  Usually they try to make letters.  This morning Maddie was getting out of the bath and was putting away all the toys.  I went to take the sticks down and she said, "Mom!  Did you see my rainbow?!  It is so beautiful!"  It really was, and took some preciseness to get it just the way she wanted.



They teach me to follow my heart.  I can't tell you the number of times that one of my children or primary kids have absolutely stunned me with their insight.  Honestly, I have felt some of the things they share, but have more reservations than them, so I don't act on them like I should.

And really there are so many more things, but today I'm just grateful for the kindness, sensitivity, happiness, sense of humor and optimism that I learn from the children in my life.

No comments: